Home » On the Roads

Getting your drivers license, Jeju, South Korea

16 November 2007 One Comment

From Jeju City Bus Terminal: Have “Driver’s License Agency” written out in Korean (운전면허시험장: I managed to find it on a bilingual map easily found in any of the tourist booths scattered throughout the island if you can’t read the text here). Once they see it, they’ll sell you a ticket and tell you which gate the bus leaves (probably gate 9). If you show the name to the driver, he’ll even let you know when to get off.

Get off at the stop with a small sign proclaiming “Driver’s Licensing Agency”. It’s not far after the race tracks. Cross the street (this involves going under the bridge) and look. Notice the only two buildings in sight are directly in front of you. Enter the closer one. You’re there.

There’s not always an English speaker on duty.

Follow their instructions, which will involve taking an eye exam.

Testing is offered two dates a month. You’ll have to specify if you’re planning on being tested for a motorbike/scooter or a car, and if it’s an automatic or manual. The testing dates are different for each.

If you wish to test for a 2-wheeled vehicle, all your tests are completed in one day. You show up on the test date at 10:30 and take the written test at 11. You proceed to have lunch and a few hours of “education” (presumably in Korean) before the road test. If you pass, you’ll have your license by 4:30.

If you’re testing for a 4-wheeled vehicle your test involves eight different steps which are completed over a smattering of days – again, their choice of days, not yours.

What to bring to register for the test: an ID (preferably both your passport and foreigner’s card), some money, and a few passport sized photos. If you don’t have any passport sized photos, you can have some taken there for a small fee.

What to bring on test day(s): The same. A photo, a passport, and an ID card.

– DAWN PARKS (Contributor)

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)

One Comment »

  • Rebekah said:

    Any idea how much this costs? Or if it’s any better than an international license??

Leave your response!

Add your comment below, or trackback from your own site. You can also subscribe to these comments via RSS.

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

This is a Gravatar-enabled weblog. To get your own globally-recognized-avatar, please register at Gravatar.